Hello fellow Stitchers!
Well its always nice to start the new year with all my Christmas projects over, and a clean slate. However this year I did have something already in the works. A new tapestry commission!
I have permission to share with you the development of this project. Below is the art item I was asked to stitch. (Remember I am not making any claim to ownership of this image. If any one knows who the original artist for this picture was Please comment so I can site them! )
Once I received a deposit for supplies, I spent about a week converting this into a stitching pattern on my computer. I wanted to keep all the detail of this piece but keep under 40,000 stitches- ( which would be about 15 inches wide by 15 inches high, on 14 count Aida cross stitch fabric. ( this is not a perfect square art item, but you get the idea) After a little bit of tweaking I was able to plot the pattern below:
This pattern is 191 stitches wide by 151 stitches high. There are 58 floss colors, and the total number of stitches came out to 28,847. So this project will be Roughly 13.5 inches wide and 10.5 inches high when finished.
I have promised to have this project finished in June. 🙂 I am excited to see how it comes out! Below are the first photos of progress. These were all taken with in the last 2 weeks.
Below: First six vertical rows half done.( which means about only 75 of the total 151 stitches are stitched for each vertical row) – that’s about 450 stitches 🙂 I made a mistake and had to take out about 50 stitches after this first photo. lol
Below: The first 11 vertical rows half done after fixing the mistake.
Below: Here I was impatient to have the rock in the corner finished soon. 🙂 After asking my husband if he could tell which corner it was, or that it was rocks, and getting a negative answer, I abandoned my neat little system of vertical rows.
Below: The Rock is coming along. I am using all the colors you see here on my lap stand frame.
Below: First two rocks almost finished!
Below: And you can see the beginning of the third rock I am working on as I work my way down and connect to the stitches along the left side. And there is the edge of the pink butterfly wing!
Below: and here you can see i am returning a little bit to my vertical row idea, and neatning up the right hand side. ( when I finish, 40 vertical rows will be half done. )